torsdag 29 april 2010

Theme Thursday: Bicycle

I ride my bike a lot. I love my bike. He is my friend. My bike is a yellow and black mountain bike. Well, I keep telling him he is a mountain bike, but actually I think he might be a city bike wearing a disguise… He looks cool anyhow, and we have been trough a lot together. We have been through hell…, eh, well, maybe not hell, but hail nonetheless. We have been through heavy snow storms. We have been through ice. We have crashed on more than one occasion, due to ice. We have cussed over ice on several occasions. (Now I am talking really bad language here, people.) We have been going downhill, fast. We have been going uphill, not so fast, returning from town having had us a couple of cold ones together with laughter and good friends. We have jumped over bumps together. Jump over bumps, don’t you just love the sound of that? We have jumped into hedges too, and once even a tree. Riding your bike might be environmentally friendly, but still the environment I keep crashing into is not thanking me. Or keep crashing into…, we have had a couple of crashes, my bike and I, no big deal.

I live in Mariestad, which is a small town in the southern part of Sweden. Here it is still common to take your bike to go to work. I think it used to be even more common however... Recently I have noticed people who take their car to go only a couple of blocks. I don’t understand why you would want to do that. Maybe they fear that their hair-dos will get messed up or something. Maybe they are in love with their cars, as symbols of their statuses. Maybe they have their entire trunk full of Very Important And Heavy Objects that would be impossible to transport on a bike. Or maybe they just don’t know how to ride a bike…

The way I see it, when you take your bike to work you get some free exercise. Your mind can focus. Well, your mind can attempt to focus at least (how well you actually manage to focus is up to the mind, I guess). Going by bike you notice things you wouldn’t have seen if you hade been in your car, speeding. You notice the weather, the wind, the seasons changing, what kind of dog your neighbor just got, what time that very same guy seem to buy his morning coffee Every Single Morning, and what kind of flowers actually grow in the park… Riding your bike going to work in the morning you get to hear the music of the small town traffic embrace you as the people around you wake up and start going places. Sleepy small towns are so adorable in the mornings. I ride my bike with my eyes and my ears wide open and with a smile on my face.

15 kommentarer:

  1. ears and eyes wide open...a great way to ride...i wish our town was such that i could ride to work...very nice johanna

    SvaraRadera
  2. It would be lovely to be able to ride to work but I work way to far away & I don't think my clients would want me to double deck then or piggy back them on my bike!!! Now that would be a sight to see!!
    Very Nice Post Johanna!

    SvaraRadera
  3. This was great :) Yea, I am with Brian on this one...If I took a bike to work, I would never make it this far :) I have an hour car drive and thats only if traffic allows...

    SvaraRadera
  4. Brian: In the heavy rain this morning I wasn´t laughing that hard... ;) I made it there, though, to the train station this time. :)
    Katherine: Thank you :) Funny. That would be a sight. :)
    Jennifer: Thank you. :) One hour drive!? I understand you are not taking your bike! :)

    SvaraRadera
  5. More people should ride their bikes to work, especially in the city. Thanks for stopping by. Happy TT

    SvaraRadera
  6. personal and winsome,
    thank you for modeling to people in riding bikes...
    Happy Thursday!

    SvaraRadera
  7. I wish more Americans saw it your way. I heartily agree with you about the bike...

    SvaraRadera
  8. Wow, imagining you ride your bikes through morning sleepy small towns in your beautiful country makes me very jealous.

    SvaraRadera
  9. Being a Finland-Swede, living in Åbo (Turku) I definitely share your views and I used to take my bike everywhere. But then it broke down. Many times. Eventually there wasn't much left of it so I kinda had to stop...

    Kul att se någon annan som pratar svenska men bloggar på engelska. :)

    SvaraRadera
  10. You rode your bike on ice! You are much braver than I am! :-)

    SvaraRadera
  11. Dreamhaven: Thank you. :)
    Jingle: Thank you. :)
    VE: :) Thanks.
    Cheeseboy: Thank you for reading and commenting. :)
    Ziva: After having read your post I totally understand... Poor bike!
    Men kul att träffas! Välkommen åter! :) /Jo.
    Tracy: Brave? Well... ;)

    SvaraRadera
  12. I ride my bike almost EVERY day, and literally everywhere. It is a Suzuki scooter 650cc and I absolutely LOVE the rides to and from meetings, jobs, and elsewhere. I wish it would drive across an ocean, I'd enjoy greatly riding in Europe...like around Amsterdam.

    Dreamer I am..yep! But riding,-I experience so much MORE of our wonderful world, sights, sounds, smells, feelings of air motion, and sudden and brief changes of temperature.

    Hey, I am writing a blog here. Sorry!

    SvaraRadera
  13. I grew up in Italy and rode bikes and mopeds all the time I spent there [28 years]. Not here in the USA :-(

    SvaraRadera
  14. I agree totally, I love cycling to work (though I don't cycle in heavy snow!) - the roads are full of cars each with one person, driving maybe a mile or two, taking twice the time because of traffic, getting wound up by delays and waiting in line - and I just zip past them

    :-)

    SvaraRadera
  15. steveroni: Keep being a dreamer! :) My kinda guy... :)
    Marina: Oh, I have never been to Italy, but I am planning to go one day?
    Giro d'Italia? ... ;) Nah, I probably won't be bringing my bike...
    lettuce: I know. :) Bike people are smart people. I agree. :) I love passing cars waiting in line... ;)

    SvaraRadera