måndag 12 april 2010

Fourteen

Can you imagine? I remember it like it was yesterday… Oh my God, I’m old, I’m old, I’m old… Do you remember what it was like? The future was bright, and endless possibilities spread in front of you. Endless paths leading everywhere. Surrounded by friends, school work, social activities, music and crushes on classmates, pop stars and movie stars, you were on the top of the world. And in the same time, you were terrified about those braces you were getting... Scared to death anyone would see that zit you desperately had been trying so hard to hide all morning using a concealer (which was in the wrong shade, by the way). Fourteen…

E… My darling child. Today you turn 14. When I was your age I felt like an adult. I knew everything. I was ready to take on the world. You are my daughter, and we are similar in many ways. Stubborn. Sensitive. Strong. Ambitious. We slam doors a lot. Many are the times that you have yelled at me told me “Mom, please just give it a rest…!”. Now, I know the mess in you room can be described as disgusting just another way of being organized. I have also noticed you generally seem to find what you need when you decide to look for it. Getting in constant fights with your brother, well, that is to be expected. What else are little brothers for, right? Well, you can always use him every once in a while to play SuperMario on your Wii, right...? Thank you, dear God for Nintendo…! When you two get along, you can create those childhood memories together. He looks up to you, you know. He loves you very much. And as for the way I nag at you about getting your homework done…well, what do you expect from a Mom who is a teacher? Of course I will be going at it. And believe me, I will keep going, and going, and going… And I won’t stop. It is because I care. And I know you are getting very good grades. I know you are a good student. I am very proud to know these things about you.

I carried you inside of me for nine months. My back hurt, my feet were swollen, and as for the giving birth thing, well I… You were a part of me, and you are still a part of me. You always will be. I wish there was a way for me to show you all the love I have felt and feel for you. I wish I could paint the picture, dance for you, write the poem or the song, play the melody, sculpt the clay, take the photograph, plant the flower beautiful enough to make you understand how much I love you.

E, I know where you’re at. I know where you’re coming from. I totally understand. I see you. I listen to you go on and on about the events that take place in your life. I hear you, even when you are silent. I am so proud I get to have you. I am so fortunate you are my daughter.

Today I am celebrating the day you were born: April 12 1996.
I love you, E.

Happy birthday!


Mom

6 kommentarer:

  1. Aww what a sweet tribute to your girl. Happy Birthday, E!

    SvaraRadera
  2. Just stopped by to say thanks for visiting my blog...and I love this tribute to your daughter.

    Sounds like she is one lucky young lady to have such an understanding mom...and you are one lucky mom!

    SvaraRadera
  3. Happy 14th E!! What a great age... but no one could pay me enough to go back to it :-)

    SvaraRadera
  4. This is the most beautiful love letter I have ever read, and the best thing is I "got" everything you said in there. Except for enjoying being fourteen (raging acne)!

    SvaraRadera
  5. Brian: Thank you. :)
    Hilary: Thank you. :)
    EthelMaePotter: Thank you. I am the lucky one. :)
    imbeingheldhostage: Thank you. :)
    Shrinky: Thank you. :) So maybe I should let E read it, huh? ;)

    SvaraRadera