onsdag 14 april 2010

Not just numbers


In school I am taking a class right now which is called Nature and sustainable development. This class is about Environmental Studies, Science, Biology, Ecology, Physics, Chemistry, Philosophy, Evolution, well, you name it. Among many other assignments we are supposed to do a survey comparing how long people in general live today, compared to people who lived during the 18th and 19th centuries. Our teachers have told us to search for old tombstones at cemeteries and collect our data there. Our study group were selected to gather information about 100 males who died before the year 1900. Last night I visited a cemetery and started writing down years. The year they were born, and the year they died. Checking the names on the tombstones just to make sure that they were male, then writing the digits down in my notebook. Like a scientist. Well, I suppose that was the plan anyway. 

I did not feel really comfortable doing this however. It is not that I have a problem with cemeteries, I really don't. Actually, I love cemeteries. I find them beautiful and peaceful. I like the idea of people resting forever side by side in the shade beneath huge trees. The reason I felt unconfortable is that I felt they deserved to be more than just numbers. Searching for dead male citizens who died before the year 1900 suddenly made me feel cold. They were actual living people once. People with lives, families, dreams, hopes and fears. It got me thinking. I felt so very humbled by it all, humbled by their prescence. In this survey we are doing all these people will remain only numbers. But I read their names on the tombstones. I read the Bible verses some of them had added on there. I found huge stones, engraved in gold. I saw really tiny ones, where it was now impossible to read the names and years. Some tombstones had little sculptures attached to them. I realized that the wooden crosses that probably once were there too, today no longer exist. They are gone forever. Some of the graves looked well taken care of though, with flowers and candles next to them. Some of the names on the stones seemed familiar, as they were probably relatives to families who still live in the Mariestad area.  

Last night I felt jus like I got to meet men who were dead. I felt I looked them in the eye. And that they looked back at me. To them I was a strange visitor from a strange time. What was my purpose there? Suddenly I didn’t even know myself. What was I really trying to investigate? What was it all about? I felt awkward and almost a little ashamed. Filling my notebook with the years got me thinking. I wanted to know so much more about them. I wanted to know what happened. I wanted to know why the father and the son were buried next to each other with no signs of the mother. I wanted to know who they were. Who they wanted to become. I wanted to know what life was like in Mariestad when they lived here. I wanted them to tell me about their dreams, hopes and fears. Were they really resting in peace? Those who died early, too soon... Why? Were there an accident? Were they sick? Those who lived long, what kept them going? Who did they love? ...And all the information I could take in were the numbers.

I started to think about Death... I started to think about all the graves that no one ever visits anymore. Those that are forgotten. No family left. No relatives. No one who still remembers. To me, that is what  Death is. As long as there is somebody who remembers you, you are still alive. When there is nobody left, all that is "you" are lines, dots and numbers engraved in stone.

5 kommentarer:

  1. I share with you your real definition of death; being forgotten. language of numbers is cold, devoid of feelings, everything is the same, nothing ever lived, nobody was there. I believe that writing is one form of immortality; long after you are gone, the words you write will always scream your name louder than any other thing

    SvaraRadera
  2. chilling ending to the post...i guess we should all let our lame burn bright and leave many memories behind...

    on a side note i grew up with the family cemetary just down the hill...love going there and walking among the stones and those at rest...

    SvaraRadera
  3. Maha: Yes, writing is one form of immortality, I suppose. As long as someone reads it. This post might be a bit of a downer, but it was just how I felt when I wrote it. Thanks for commenting. :)
    Brian: Yes, we should live life to the fullest and leave good memories behind.
    A family cemetery... I have never seen one. Sounds peaceful, though. Thank you for reading.
    /Jo.

    SvaraRadera
  4. I recently visited our family cemetery in another state and had the opposite feeling as I roamed looking at all the graves, some dating to the early 1800s of people I did not know. To me, it felt like the grave markers are there so everyone can remember the past and the people who made it-- maybe not specifically but collectively. Perhaps cemeteries in general are a memorial to all-- I'd like to think so.

    Wonderful post-- very thought provoking. Thank you.
    jj

    SvaraRadera
  5. Joanna: That is actually a very beautiful way of seeing things. Thank you. I like the idea of a collective memory. Thank you so much for reading and for commenting. /Jo.

    SvaraRadera