måndag 17 maj 2010

A message


there is a red light blinking on the answering machine
we decide to erase it but it keeps returning
how strange
but, then again, if it’s broken, we can always go out and buy a new one
right?

there seems to be a message here
but we are just not seeing it
maybe we don’t want to
maybe we don’t have the time
maybe we are just to busy
minding our own business
preparing dinner, mowing the lawn and preparing for soccer practice

there are tsunamis, oil spills, deforestation
erosion
piles of garbage
smog
and earthquakes
floods
volcanos and ash clouds
there is hunger and malnutrition
there is obesity - people dying from eating too much
but why should I care?
I feel fine. Most of the time.

and all the stress
there are status symbols, status updates, status pressure
we climb higher, go faster, build bigger, work harder
mother Earth
we inherited her
now we are draining her
raping her
she is screaming “no”
again and again
but nobody seems to listen
we pretend we don’t hear
and carry on
doing what we do
minding our own business
the way we always have

and the red light is still there...
if we would push play
I think we would hear her crying

13 kommentarer:

  1. oh snap...like a knuckle sandwich to the nose johanna...wicked good.

    SvaraRadera
  2. You bring together so many relevant issues here including our status consciousness. A powerful poem!

    SvaraRadera
  3. And while providing pastoral care today at the hospital I sat with two daughters who were with their mother as the life supports were about to be withdrawn. Their request was that I pray with their non-responsive mother who has been terrified of dying. I asked God to be with me and I did as they asked. Everything else in the world disappeared in those moments when I was with her.

    PG

    SvaraRadera
  4. You should publish this. Seriously. You mention a lot of things in here that people just don't wanna talk about. Make 'em talk!

    SvaraRadera
  5. have you been reading my mind?? this seems so silly but i have been trying to recycle plastic since so much of america is clothed in it! it really got to be too much...i tired from having to store it, take it to the recycle bin, etc.
    but reading this makes me realize that recycling that silly plastic is one way i can 'clear' that flashing red light! thanks for such a stark and accurate posting...it was incredible!

    SvaraRadera
  6. ouch. that last phrase lingers like nails down a chalkboard... so true though. I wonder what the answering machine would say???

    SvaraRadera
  7. Brian: Thank you.
    Paul C: Thank you.
    PG: I hear you. I know what you mean.
    Foxy: Thank you. Last night these thoughts were aching inside my own head. Publishing them I did, and sharing them with you guys made me feel less alone. Thank you for reading and commenting.
    sheri: I recycle too, but I understand what you mean. Thank you for reading and commenting.
    Hilary: Thank you.
    Cheeseboy: Thanks a lot.
    Kay: I know. I wonder too...

    SvaraRadera
  8. Love the flowers, rain and the UFO. Hate BP, lies, greed, consumption, consummerism, and the death of the Gulf of Mexico. Most of us here in America do not believe a word BP says and their consort Haliburton (sp? do I even care if I spell their name wrong?) is just as bad. We've given them access to our coastlines and they've given us lies and destruction. I like the analogy of the red light blinking. Yes, and when it goes from blinking to solid red?

    Thanks for a flicker of beauty.

    SvaraRadera
  9. Yvonne: Thank you for your comments and your kind words... When it goes from blinking to solid red... well, let's just hope that day never comes.

    SvaraRadera