onsdag 17 februari 2010

Save the planet



When I grew up I had big plans. I was going to save the planet. Save Africa from starvation. Save South America from poverty. Save the USA from the death penalty. Save the whales. The seals. The gorillas. You name it. I joined Greenpeace. I joined Amnesty International. I joined Miljöpartiet de Gröna, the Swedish environmental party. I recycled. Big time. I was a rebel. I planned on being an environmental activist. I planned on writing books. Creating art. Paint. Take pictures. Write songs. Express myself. I had big plans.

And I got pregnant, 20 years old. I became a Mom. That shouldn't change things, but it did. I got lazy.

Sigh.

I will soon be 35. I'm back in school, pursuing a career as a teacher. I guess my plan is to remain in school forever, or at least until I retire. Or die. And maybe that's how I eventually will save the world - by saving a couple of teenagers. Maybe that's the way to go. Start with yourself, your family and friends. Your students.

Who knows? I still might write a couple of books some day. I could still be an environmental activist. I still write songs. I'm still a member of Amnesty International. I can still save the planet.

And I still recycle.

4 kommentarer:

  1. The best way we can give to the planet is to instill that respect for her well being in our children. The rest is gravy.

    SvaraRadera
  2. Thank you, Hilary. The rest is gravy, you say? ;) Interesting expression. :) Do you ever sleep, by the way? Isn't it night still in Canada? Thank you for stopping by. Hugs.

    SvaraRadera
  3. you can do all that and so much more...if each just took care of their own fam, we would make a huge imprssion...

    SvaraRadera
  4. If anyone could save this spinning rock, you could. You may indeed before its all said and done. :)

    SvaraRadera