tisdag 9 mars 2010

Land of the free, home of the...



Ever since I was a child I dreamed about going to the US. My elder cousins both got to go as teenagers to live for a year in the US as exchange students. That became my dream too. I kept telling my parents that this was what I planned. Not what I would like to, or what I was wishing for, or dreaming of, I just told them what I was planning... My poor parents... I started attacking and going at them when I was eight or nine. And I just kept going. Very dedicated that way. And they kept telling me I was too young. Obviously. I had to at least have finished the 9th grade first. In Sweden after finishing the 9th grade you have 3 more years of high school before you are ready to go to college. (If you choose to go to college).

Anyway. Summer of 1991... I had just turned 16. School was out for the summer. Freedom. In August I was leaving on a jet plane. I was going to leave Sweden, my family and my friends, and go to the Land of Dreams. Where miracles not only happen but where they happen all the time, right? I was expecting to meet new friends, get to know a new culture and expand my language skills. I got to have all that, and so much more.

Everything was new. Everything was exciting. People spoke funny, not at all like my English teacher in school. They spoke really fast, too. I got to live in a house with three cats. I went to church twice a week (!). I went to church choir practise. Imagine that. On Sundays I sang in a church wearing a very strange looking robe. I went to school riding a yellow school bus (like in the movies!). I had Pop Tarts. Disgusting. I had Mountain Dew and Dr Pepper. Weird. Junk food. Oh yeah. Taco bell. Chinese take-out. Wendys. Hardees. BK. McD. It's a miracle I didn't put on any weight... I watched Mystery Science Theatre. I fell in love with REM. I joined the Drama Club. People actually asked me if the Swedish bikini team really existed. I answered that I didn't think so. People asked me it we had a lot of polar bears in Switzerland. I didn't answer that. I went out on dates. I kissed a boy. I fell, in a rather humiliating and embarrassing way, getting out of his car afterwards. I fell in love. I had a boy spit his gum in my hair to save the world from disaster. I got dumped. I made a lot of friends. I went to school dances, one homecoming and two proms. Not my thing. I went hiking. Definately my thing. I learned a lot. About the US. About other people. About myself. Land of the free, home of the weird... I mean brave. :)

It was a wonderful year, so fully packed with good memories. I met a beautiful, warm and welcoming people. I made friends for life. The memories I will keep forever. I will never forget 1991-1992. I am so very thankful my parents let me go. Now, If E asks, will I let her go live abroad for a year...? Hmmm... Well, she hasn't asked yet. Let's just leave this topic. Now.

10 kommentarer:

  1. nice. i would love to have spent time overseas...so much to learn and take in...not quite so practical these days...but who knows what the future holds...

    SvaraRadera
  2. HAHAHA i love the end. Yup! happens to all parents. They're faced with what they put their own parents through.
    I argued with my parents back and forth on tattoos, got them anyways, if i have kids and they ask to have tattoos at 16...ummm...i might send them off to boarding school in some far off village in the mountains HAHA ;)

    SvaraRadera
  3. :) Sounds like you enjoy the US

    SvaraRadera
  4. The early 90's were great years here. I'd like to travel eventually as well :)

    SvaraRadera
  5. There is NOTHING weird about Dr. Pepper, Jo. Nothing! Now, America... definitely. But NOT DP! ;)

    Wouldn't change it for the world.

    Well, most of it.

    SvaraRadera
  6. Sounds like you had an amazing time. I have never been to the US, maybe one day... but I do live overseas and it's the best move I ever made :0)

    SvaraRadera
  7. I think I can relate to this as i moved to the US in 92.;) Even though I was about 10 years older then you, the sentiments are basically the same.;)) Lovely post.;)
    Thank you so much for stopping by my place.;) It is fun to meet a Swede once in a while and I still have very fond memories of Sweden.;)
    Ha det så bra!;))
    xo
    Zuzana

    SvaraRadera
  8. Brian: Thank you for reading. Yes, it was a great year.
    jiorji: That's the truth. My E scares me every day... ;) No tattoos yet however... :)
    JStar: Yes, I did! And I still do. :)
    Susan: :)
    Michael: You wouldn't change Dr Pepper for the world? Or you wouldn't change the world for Dr Pepper? ;)
    ED: Oh, I did! Thank you for reading and thank you for the follow... :)
    Protege: Thank you so much for stopping by... :) Ha det så bra, själv! :)
    *Hey, what's all this talk about a "bra"...? Hmmm, go figure... :)*

    Thank you all for reading what I write :)
    Love/ Jo.

    SvaraRadera
  9. you sure had a cultural experience in 91 and 2! So many memories. Sounds like the USA to me.

    SvaraRadera
  10. I wish more Americans would travel to other countries, we tend to stay close to home

    my nieces both took part in an exchange program and it was a wonderful experience for them

    the talking fast comment made me laugh
    I get that all the time

    thank you for your comment on my post about my granddaughter
    music is such a joy to her, and she is a joy to me

    SvaraRadera