måndag 7 juni 2010

Listening to old people


You know how I usually complain about being a poor student? Well, it’s not like this fact really has changed in any substantial way, but I am still very happy at the moment because I have some good news: I have a job for the summer! I will be working part time taking care of old people who still live at home but who need some extra help getting through the day. I will be helping them with breakfast, assist as they take showers, help them put on their clothes, fix breakfast, hand out medicine, take them for walks, clean their homes, deliver lunch, fix supper, take them to see the doctor and the dentist, that kind of thing. I am really looking forward to this. I have had this kind of work many summers in the past and I have loved every bit of it. Maybe I’ll even get to work extra during this coming fall too, if all goes well.

I love being around old people. If you just take your time and really listen to them, they have so many stories to tell. About life. About what’s important. About the stuff that matters, and the stuff that doesn’t. About time. Often talking to them allows me to see things in a different angle, from a new perspective. They make me raise my voice, sometimes only to soon realize I didn’t really have to. Not all old people are deaf, you know. They have on many occasions made me change the radio station. Not all old people love old people’s music, you know… I have seen their scars and tattoos and listened to the stories associated with them. I have seen wounds and bruises. I have carried tiny little old ladies, and I have wheeled heavy ones in wheel chairs, uphill as well as downhill. I have held the hands of lonely people who have told me they have lost everyone and everything, even lost their hope, and I have been trying to comfort them but not always succeeded. I have shared tears and laughter. I have grown in the past. I will grow in the future. Soon I’ll be off meeting my new co-workers and some of the old people I will be taking care of this summer. I am so excited. I can’t wait. Wish me luck!

10 kommentarer:

  1. Congratulations on your enriching summer job. Those whom you help will be enriched by your positive perspectives.

    SvaraRadera
  2. sounds like a great summer job...i spent some time working in a home in college and i found some of their stories and reflections refreshing...i hope the same holds true for you....

    SvaraRadera
  3. Hi Jo.. I know what you are talking about. I've spent many years nursing the elderly & sick prior to my current job which I have been doing for the last 4 years which is working in disabilities.
    There is much to be learned from our elders. They've lived life, experienced hardships that we will probably never have to experience in our life time.
    It is nice to be able to offer comfort to a lonely and/or sick soul. To help share some of what causes them sorrow or pain. My mother always said to me " a problem shared is a problem halved"
    And to offer a little lite relief from what normally occupies their thoughts...to have a laugh, share some good news etc
    Yep... it is a life affirming job to say the least. The biggest thing that I found when doing this work is to LISTEN!
    I am sure you will have a very enriching, fulfilling time over summer.

    SvaraRadera
  4. It sounds fabulous. My Mum has a similar job and she loves it. It is so true that listening to an older person - I mean truly listening can change perspectives on everything. One of the reasons I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my wee Scottish Granny!!

    SvaraRadera
  5. Oh I agree! I always thought I'd be in a job where I could be around the aging... now I am just becoming one.
    I love the stories they can share, I hope you'll be posting about your experiences. Congratulations!

    SvaraRadera
  6. that's good news from you,
    Happy Summer,
    Have productive summer time!

    SvaraRadera
  7. wish you luck??? who are you kidding johanna? after reading your post i'd have to say you are the luckiest woman i know to have grabbed hold of the life truths that you shared here! it can only get better with time :) what a blessing YOU are to those folks you help...you have a wonderful heart, wide opened and ready to learn and love...you'll do great!!

    SvaraRadera
  8. Just checkin' in because I haven't seen you around the bloggosphere for AGESSSSS!!

    SvaraRadera
  9. What a wonderful job! And how great that you realize what a treasure old people can be.

    SvaraRadera
  10. Great blog. All posts have something to learn. Your work is very good and i appreciate you and hopping for some more informative posts.
    thank you……..
    nursing home east sussex

    SvaraRadera